Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Never a Dull Moment

Did I mention that I'm a teacher? of special education? of 4th - 6th graders, mostly boys??

Well. Life is never dull in my classroom.

This year I took a 75% position to be able to stay home with Austin as much as financially possible. It allows me to work 8:45 - 12:45 and keep benefits. A very necessary commodity these days.

The gal that comes in the afternoon to teach my class for the rest of the day has a very different teaching style than me, which has forced us to be very creative in keeping a cohesive, well managed classroom. Most days it doesn't work.

Tomorrow we have been invited on a field trip with another classroom to explore life on a mission up in Calabassass. Due to behavioral problems, not everyone will be attending.

Everyday I leave work with a pep talk to my class about being leaders on the campus, doing the right thing, and mostly "just get through the next 90 minutes with no problemos". I then walk through the teacher's lounge and announce to anyone sitting in there that, "Today, my kids are going to have a wonderful afternoon!" Everyone smiles at me. That quirky kind of smile. Every morning, on the following day, I call my husband while I'm driving to work to wish him a wonderful day. And he always replies back, "And I hope you have a wonderful day, too!" Then I get to work. Then I walk into the lounge. Then I'm always told about what problemos occurred in the afternoon on the previous day. Today I was told that 4 of my cherubs released stink bombs in the girl's bathroom. Everyday - something new.

My life is exciting. Tomorrow I will be staying at school with 8 of my cherubs that are unfortunately unable to attend the field trip due to misjudging outcomes of various situations in which they needed to use a) common sense b) self control or
c) a little restraint.

I will call my husband tomorrow morning and wish him a wonderful day. He will do the same for me. Then I will get to work. We'll see what happens after that.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I hope you have a wonderful day!