Thursday, October 16, 2008

Blessings

I'm going to try and write down/journal blessings that happen each day. I know God is amazing, but in the low times, sometimes I forget all that He has done.

Right now, with the rest of the world suffering from this depressing economy, I too am pinching pennies.

So on to the blessings:

First, my husband gave me a "two for one" coupon for a favorite deli of mine. I was planning to have lunch at my old school with some friends, and decided to pick up lunch on the way. Perfect! I ordered our usual favorite: meatball sandwich with antipasto salad. The salad would be enough to have for dinner that night, and we always split the sandwich. When I got there to pick it up, the owner told me that I had read the coupon wrong, and I needed to order some specific item for it to work. I apologized for the error, and he gave me the price cut anyway! Blessing #1.

Next, I had planned on cooking short ribs for dinner tonight. Usually I don't shop at Ralphs anymore unless I have some great coupons. Which I did the other day. I had between $3.00 - $5.00 off for some meat, $5.00 off total bill if over $20, and a free carrot coupon. So I went to Ralphs and loaded up my cart. I divided my shopping into 3 sections so I could use my $5.00 off for $20 coupons several times (I had three of them). I also divided up my other coupons/meat. What would have cost me over $100 in food, cost me less than $50.

While I was there, I checked out the short ribs. $4.99/lb. Outrageous. I'm not spending that much! But today, when I remembered our dinner plans, outrageous became, "I guess I'll just by 2 packages. I mean, if we go out to dinner, it would cost a lot more than $16.00". So I went to Ralphs again. BUT.... what did my blessed eyes fall upon? A sale on short ribs. Now they were only $1.99/lb. I rushed home to sing the Hallelujah chorus off my front porch. Actually, I snatched up 8 packages. Three for tonights dinner, and the rest in the freezer for future use. What would have cost me $50.33 cost me only $23.00, and that was with a loaf of bread ($4.39) thrown in. Can you believe the cost of bread?
Anyway. Blessing #2.

I'm looking forward to journaling all the blessings God bestows on us each day. What a great way to remember, even in times of recession, that He provides for ALL our needs.

No comments: