Monday, December 7, 2009

Penne with Broccoli, Panchetta & White Beans

Pretty simple and pretty good.

I started by boiling water for my penne, and I always drop my broccoli on top of whatever pasta I'm cooking in order to blanch it quickly.

In a large saute pan, I put in about 1 T olive oil and 5 chopped slices of pancetta browning it for about 2 - 3 minutes. I added 1/2 chopped onion, 2 cloves garlic chopped, and some left over sausage (kielbasa) from breakfast yesterday. I got that nice and caramelized and added 1 can of white northern beans. I drained the can of liquid first and then just dumped in the beans. I love adding beans because it's an instant thickener. I removed the broccoli from the boiling water and added it to the saute pan. I sliced about 8 grape tomatoes and added them as well. I tossed everything, added salt and pepper. When the pasta was done, I tossed that in as well. I also added a couple of serving size spoonfuls of pasta water to loosen it up a bit. I stirred gently (really kinda folding all the ingredients) and plated. Last, I topped it with shredded Parmesan.

Served with a salad, it was light, fresh, and tasty.

No comments: